Image Map

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Baby steps to becoming a DIYer :)

I decided the other day that I was going to start taking baby steps to becoming a DIYer. I found this great blog that has some awesome ideas and the first one I set my eyes on was this painting. I went to Michael's and bought the supplies which included a canvas which was buy one get one free, a few different colors of paint (the 89 cent ones), painters tape (which I should have gotten somewhere else because it was wayy to expensive at Michaels) and some paintbrushes. I already had a few paint brushes and the palette so I didn't have to get those. I just love Michaels! They always have deals on things and coupons available. Lately the coupon I have on the app on my phone is 40% off an item so that really helps. 



First I taped off the canvas randomly.

Then I painted the colors, adding grey to some of them so it gave me more colors.
I also added glitter to some of the spots to give it a little bit of sparkle.

The finished product. I am not sure where I am going to hang it, or if I want to splatter it like the painting from the link. If I were to splatter it, I would probably do it in silver.


The next DIY project I did was on a whim. I didn't find it anywhere online, I actually saw the board at Wal-Mart and just had to have it. Then I had to figure out what I was going to do with it. This was actually pretty easy. Easier than normal because my awesome father did the spray painting. I am thinking he watched me do one coat and instantly decided I was not doing it right. :) 

I got the board from Wal-Mart for $4.00, and the spray paint in matte black for 98 cents. I already had the painters tape and the scissors. 
Then I taped off the letters how I wanted them.

And this is how it turned out. This isn't the best picture but after I add the pictures to it I will post a better picture. 

So that is how I am taking baby steps! I went to Michaels again today (I feel as if I live there) and bought a t-shirt to make into a swim suit cover up and made my first purchase of modge podge! Oh the things I will be able to do with it! I also signed up for the Michaels Rewards Card which I feel will really be helpful in the future. Happy DIYing! :)




No comments: