Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Our Crazy Busy Four Day Weekend

I ended up getting a four day weekend and it was wonderful. Except for waking up at 8:30 on Sunday morning to do homework. Whatever. Anyways, Thursday night Nick, Luke, and I left for Nick's parents houses up north. It's only a little less than a four hour drive, but it felt like an eternity because Luke is now too big to fit on my lap so he is constantly walking on my legs trying to get comfortable or driving Nick crazy while he drives. Friday morning we got up around 8 and got ready to go to the Brookfield Zoo. I had never been to that zoo and I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that we had to pay to park and go in to the zoo. I guess that's what happens when I'm spoiled by the free St. Louis Zoo. But, the zoo was a super nice place and it was fun because there were a lot of baby animals out and all the regular animals were pretty active. It was also a super nice day so that helped. Even though I had goosebumps most of the day while everyone else was dripping in sweat. I'm weird, I know.
Friday night we went to a German restaurant and since I had no idea what anything on the menu was, I got a side salad. Yes, I know, I need to step out of my comfort zone. But I'm not the only one. Nick got a cheeseburger and his sister got chicken strips. But I did try a little of his aunt's wienerschnitzel and it was pretty good. Saturday we just went to his mom's and hung out while Luke played with her three dogs and destroyed his crate, which I'll let him tell you all about tomorrow, and then we went up to the bar to watch the Hawks play. That was super not fun because the Hawks lost and they really need to stop doing that. 

Sunday was Nick's sister's graduation from high school. She went to a private catholic school so the first hour and a half was a full mass. I had never been to a full mass and let me tell you, the shoes I wore were not full mass shoes. It was awful. No offense to anyone who is Catholic, but I just couldn't handle standing and sitting so much. If I would have had flats on it would have been ten times better. And if the gym we were sitting in with at least a couple hundred other people had air conditioning, I think it would have been 100x better. The last 20 minutes of the ceremony was the actual graduation stuff which was weird to me because I'm just use to going to a graduation ceremony and it being all about the graduation instead of a church service. After graduation was over we went back to Nick's dad's house and had a little cookout for Alli with all of their family. It was nice to be able to sit and relax with everyone because I enjoy just hanging out with his family a lot. It helps that they are all good cooks and all of the food was wonderful :). Luke also really enjoyed it and he was the perfect little angel I know he can be. #psychodogmom. He really was good though because we had him outside with us all day and he didn't try to run off once. He stayed in the yard with everyone and only got ahold of one bratwurst.

Uh yep, that's our dog in the background. Helping himself to my vodka and coke. So maybe he wasn't entirely perfect Sunday, but he is pretty darn close.
And after all the people had left and Nick and his dad went out, Luke and I got to unwind and do some more homework Sunday night. He passed out within five minutes of everyone leaving. And then woke up at 4:30 that night to puke two huge piles of puke. So you're welcome for that image. It was a lot of fun since Nick doesn't hear him get up and I do. Oh the joys of being a fur mom. 

Monday was spent driving home from Nick's parents and then going to my parents for dinner and laundry. When I got home from there we got to watch the Hawks lose again, it's starting to get slightly annoying. And the Cardinals lost. I hate when both of my teams lose. Anyways, and it was an early bed time for all of us. Going back to the real world is really no fun sometimes. 

However, I did make sure to take a minute, which I need to do all the time, to really think about the reason I was able to escape reality for a few days. So thank you to all of our men and women who have been and continue to be, fighting for our country and our freedom. There are no words to thank you and I don't think I could thank you enough for all that you and your family do for this country. It is amazing to be able to live with all of the freedoms that we have and I know that you guys are the reason for it, so once again, thank you so so so much for all of the sacrifices you have made and continue to make on a daily basis. 

Like I said earlier, look for a post brought to you by Lucas himself tomorrow on his adventures with his metal crate. That was a lot of fun this weekend.
 photo signiature_zps56ce7144.png

No comments: